Please see How to Use Lection Connection.
Full lections can be read here.
Based on the Readings as Set
First Reading (Genesis 1:1-2:4a)
God creates the cosmos as his Spirit sweeps across the chaos, transforming it into order, step by step. God’s word brings everything into existence, first the natural environment, then its inhabitants and, finally, humankind, made in God’s image as ruler over all for its flourishing.
The Psalmist emphasizes that, because of his great and awesome creation, the Lord’s name is majestic over the entire earth. But humankind is also exalted, having been given rule over that creation as God’s regent and crowned with glory and honor.
Second Reading (2 Corinthians 13:11-13)
St. Paul closes his second letter to the Corinthians with a call to put things in order by means of peace, unity and love. He then commends them to the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit.
Gospel (Matthew 28:16-20)
Matthew’s Gospel ends with the risen Jesus’ claim to ultimate authority as he commissions his followers to go make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Jesus assures them that he will be with them until the end of the age.
- The special place of humanity as God’s agent and the object of his attention and mission
- God extends his work through his Spirit and humankind, his special creation
- The work of creation and new creation is wondrous indeed
- The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit cooperate in the work of creation and redemption
- The Holy Spirit does not work independently of the Father and the Son
- God’s claim on humanity is universal
- The divine commission of humankind to rule over creation for its flourishing is related to the extension of the Gospel into the whole earth through the work of the Church
SENTENCE (BAS, Canada)
Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory. Isaiah 6.3
COLLECT OF THE DAY (BAS, Canada)
Father, we praise you:
through your Word and Holy Spirit you created all things. You reveal your salvation in all the world
by sending to us Jesus Christ, the Word made flesh. Through your Holy Spirit
you give us a share in your life and love.
Fill us with the vision of your glory,
that we may always serve and praise you,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. AMEN